Let’s face it, if you practice yoga, you need to clean your yoga mat! Without the proper cleaner, your yoga mat can get kind of gunky (this is the technical term of course) and this is even more true when sharing or renting mats at a yoga studio.
With so many products on the market, it’s hard to know which is the best, so why not just make your own? When you make your own yoga mat cleaner:
- You know exactly what is in the product!
- It’s chemical free!!
- Essential Oils can be incorporated into the cleaner making it smell great and antibacterial
- You can choose the essential oils you use to design your own scent
- It’s super cost effective
- You can use items on hand so you never run out of cleaner!
- It makes a great gift for your yogi friends
- It’s environmentally friendly because you aren’t using chemicals and you can reuse your spray bottle many times over!
With so many great reasons to make your own spray, I don’t know what you’re waiting for!
Here is what you need:
- One small, clean spray bottle (even travel size will do!)
- Distilled water or spring water
- Alcohol-free witch hazel (white vinegar also works as this is your cleaning agent)
- 8-10 Drops of Lavender
- 3 Drops of Lemon OR 3 Drops of Tea Tree Oil
To make the spray, fill your bottle about 3/4 full with distilled or spring water. Then add witch hazel or white vinegar to fill the remaining 1/4 of the bottle. You need just a bit of room to add in your essential oils. Drop in the oils and shake gently.
To clean your yoga mat, spray evenly over the mat, wipe with a damp cloth, and allow to dry (about 10 minutes on each side). That’s it!
There are other essential oils you can use as well! You will just have to play around until you find the right one and the right combination for you.
Antibacterial Essential Oils Include:
- Tea Tree
I like to use Lavender and Lemongrass in the summer and then alternate Peppermint and Cinnamon in the winter.
Lavender and Bergamot are both relaxing and work great together for stress relief and relaxation.
Whatever combination you use, you can rest assured you’re using the best cleaner possible for your yoga mat.